A regular weekly or monthly staff email is a fun way to engage your employees. With a small amount of time and an even smaller budget (hey, it’s free!), you can boost morale, encourage teamwork and give due recognition.
There’s no need to write long articles for a company newsletter. Let’s face it, most of your employees are too busy to read lengthy emails. A simple, upbeat message will do the trick. Here are my favorite ideas for content:
- Recognize the good work of an employee or department. Explain why the company will benefit from the effort.
- Choose an Employee of the Month. Add a few fun facts about the employee, like his or her pets, hobbies or favorite cupcake flavor.
- Start an Employees’ Choice Award. Survey your staff to find out things like favorite books, favorite restaurants or best coffee.
- List this month’s employee birthdays. Encourage co-workers to send a “Happy Birthday” message.
- Note work anniversaries and years of service.
- Congratulate personal milestones. Acknowledge professional achievements, marriages, new babies and retirements.
- Post job openings. This is a good way to get the word out about opportunities within the company.
- Introduce new hires. Add a photo and some fun facts about new employees.
- Run a contest. See who can name the number of marbles in a jar or how many doors are in the office. The first one with the right answer gets a gift card to the local coffee shop.
- Ask employees to submit announcements and news. Mention the date of your next staff email and ask employees to submit announcements, news or shout-outs.
It doesn’t take a big budget to have fun at work. You can develop a healthy work atmosphere with something as simple as email.