The holidays are a great time of year for entertaining family and friends. But, you may look around your house and think about sprucing things up before you bring the first guests in. You don't have to put large amounts of money out to get a nice impact for the holidays as well as your home's value. Here are 10 holiday home improvement tips that will boost your home equity value.
- Install crown molding in your entry and entertainment spaces. This gives a polished look to any room. You will get a nice return later when you sell because buyers love the look of crown molding.
- Install chair molding in your dining room. It provides a natural dividing line between the top and bottom of the walls. You can paint these areas different colors or install wallpaper on one side or the other. Another option is to put panel molding below for a formal look.
- Is the light fixture in your entry dated? You can install a new light to spruce up the space for the holidays and to update your home year round.
- Check your dining room light as well. Making this change can transform a room for the holidays. A chandelier also provides a space for garland hanging above the table.
- Spruce up your guest bath with a fresh coat of paint and some new towels. Most bath fixtures last decades, but the walls may look dingy. Choose a color and coordinate it with linens that match.
- Painting any room ranks among the top holiday home improvement tips that will boost your home equity value. You can paint your entertainment space and make your home feel and look fresh.
- When painting different rooms, consider updating outlet and switch plates. Little details like this can make your rooms look complete and polished.
- Your entry door is the first thing your guests will see. A fresh coat of paint will update even the most dated door. Change out the hardware for a completely different look. With that done, add a wreath, then you are ready to greet your guests.
- Changing door knobs throughout the house is a good update to your home. It will give you a fresh look to present to guests, and it adds value to your home.
- What can you do in the kitchen? Most do not want to do a major renovation. However, changing cabinet knobs and applying fresh paint will give your room a completely different look.
These holiday home improvement tips that will boost your home equity are easy to do for most DIY home owners. You can do many of these little projects within a few hours or in a couple of days. Give your equity a boost when preparing for the holidays.
For bigger projects, find out how your home equity can be used to finance home improvements. This free, downloadable guide answers the most common questions we get about home equity lines of credit.