As a not-for-profit financial cooperative, Hanscom Federal Credit Union is accountable to its members — that's you! — and not a profit-driven group of shareholders. This means it's in our best interest for our members to have financial tools at hand and the wisdom to make sound decisions about their money. When our members do well, we do well, and it's why we offer free financial education for anyone who's looking for a secure financial future.
So if one of your New Year's resolutions was to get a grip on your finances, it's not too late...and it's also not to early to head back to school. We're offering five free financial education webinars this summer, and better yet, each is only an hour long. You can learn how to take control of your money and finances from the comfort of your home, office ... or even the beach!
Sign up today for one of our free webinars this summer. Can't make it? No worries. Sign up anyway, and we'll send you a link to the recording after the webinar:
- Using Home Equity. There are numerous benefits to owning your own home. Not only does it provide you with a place to live, but you can often use the accumulated equity for many money-smart purposes. Borrowing further against your home is a serious financial decision and should only be done after careful research and consideration. This session discusses the pros and cons of borrowing against your equity and also reviews the different ways you can do so. Download the session here.
- Your Credit Score on July 30, 2019 at 12:00 p.m. ET. One of the most important numbers consumers have is their credit score. It affects the ability to purchase a home, buy a car, get a credit card, and make other financial decisions—but it can also hinder them. This session reviews types of credit scoring models currently used including FICO, Vantage, non-traditional, and bankruptcy risk. Sign up here.
- Your Guide to 529 College Savings Plans. For families and individuals looking for ways to save for college, 529 College Savings Plans provide a flexible way to prepare for the future — and with valuable tax advantages. Learn about the available options, plan limitations and restrictions, and the financial impact on student aid. Download the session here.
- Stock Market Basics on August 27, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. ET. Many financial planners say it's wise to invest your savings in the stock market rather than leave your money in a low-interest account. Before you jump into the stock market, it's important to know that investing in stocks comes with risks. This workshop provides the basics needed to get a clear understanding of the stock market, the risks involved, ways to reduce risks, how to buy stocks, and how to maintain your account. Sign up here.
- FAFSA: Your Key to Unlocking Financial Aid on September 9, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. ET. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a government form that streamlines the financial aid process, which can help reduce your student loan burden. This workshop covers the FAFSA basics, as well as provides insight into the application process, how to complete the FAFSA online, federal requirements, and receiving and maintaining federal financial aid. Sign up here.
These free webinars are hosted by Hanscom FCU and presented by our partner, Balance, which promotes financial wellness.