While Hanscom FCU and its Online Access provider employ multiple layers of security to protect your account information and transactions on our servers and the internet, good password management is essential to ensure your information remains totally secure. Here are six tips to follow for better password protection on all your accounts, whether at Hanscom FCU or other financial institutions:
- Choose unique passwords for each of your financial institutions and change them regularly.
- Create complicated passwords using nonsense phrases and/or include numbers, symbols, and upper- and lowercase letters. It’s tempting to create a password using obvious personal information, but you’re just making it easier for a criminal to crack.
- Be suspicious of any email that asks you to change your password by clicking a link, especially if you haven’t requested a password change. It could be an attempt to phish your password.
- Make sure your computers and mobile devices are password protected to prevent unauthorized access.
- Use a password manager. Avoid writing down passwords or storing them on your computer or smartphone, where they can be accessed easily. A password manager https://go.hfcu.org/blog/password-manager will keep your user names and passwords encrypted and safe … for your eyes only.
- Avoid typing your password into a computer or device you do not control, and do not log into your financial institution’s website through an unsecured public network, which is vulnerable to hacking. Instead, log in through a virtual private network (VPN) or wait till you can log in from a secure location.
If you suspect your account was compromised or there was attempted fraud on your Hanscom FCU account, please call 800-656-4328 immediately. We’re open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
As a precaution to fight identity theft, periodically check your credit report for possible fraudulent activity. Hanscom FCU members can access their credit reports at no cost.
Others are reading:
- Pet Alert: Beware the Pet Adoption Scam
- Multiple Ways ID Theft Targets Seniors
- Become Scam-Proof: Tips from Our CU Senior Safeguard Panel
- All About Hanscom FCU's New Password Requirements
- The 7 Alerts That Protect Your Account Against Fraud