To get in the highest offers from buyers, most houses could use some work before they're listed. However, not every seller has the time or money to make significant upgrades. Still, little things can make a big difference in the final sale price of your home. You don’t have to spend a fortune to make your home look like a million bucks. An investment of $100 or less can pay off in a brighter look that could fetch higher offers.
Here are seven quick, inexpensive ways to make your home more appealing to potential buyers:
1. Clean inside and out. After you've done a deep clean and declutter inside your home, rent a power washer to remove any mold, mildew, algae, and grime to ensure your house exterior sparkles.
2. Contain your excitement. Buy inexpensive colorful pots of varying sizes and fill them with bright, hardy annuals. Group them together on your front stairs or back deck. It'll provide a very welcoming look for a very welcome price.
3. You’ve got their number. Stylish house numbers stand out and add a fresh touch to your front entrance. Consider placing a plaque with those numbers in the container pots. It’s all about making a first impression that can make buyers feel right at home.
4. Install fresh hardware. Renovating a kitchen or bathroom certainly can add value, but that work can be costly and time-consuming. On the other hand, adding new hardware to cabinetry, particularly in bright modern looks, provides an instant update.
5. Just add mulch. Placing fresh mulch around plantings and shrubbery gives a neat, tidy look to a yard without breaking the bank.
6. Pass me that towel. Want your home to clean up? Another cheap but effective upgrade is bringing in matching towels and a snazzy shower curtain for the bathroom.
7. Let them picture themselves. Remove your personal photos. Having them on display makes it harder for a prospective house buyer to connect to the house. Instead, consider a large, clean sign that reflects a universal sentiment that everyone can appreciate, like Home is Where the Heart Is or There’s No Place Like Home.
These seven small steps you can take before you put your house on the market can add up to big offers. Before you know it, the next upgrade to your home will be a sign with that sweet word, “Sold.’’
Others are reading: